Thursday, April 8, 2010

Miller Lite Home Draft - Reusable for a home brewer?

I recently noticed the Miller Lite came out with a "Home Draft" system that looked very similar to the "Tap-a-draft" system my brewing buddy was interested in.  The tap a draft system seems like a nice idea, but I was a little unsure of it for the cost involved.  When I saw this, I had to get one and check it out.

Luckily, Ohio is part of a test market so you may not be able to get these yet but if you can, you should read on!

I purchased one for $20 from a local liquore store.  It was warm and I had to chill it.   Being that is was only miller lite, I had a few drinks out of it and then realized how horrible Miller Lite is after you have become acustom to home brews and better beers.  A few beers into it, I decided I had to jump to my origional plan and find out: "Can it be reused for home brewing?"

I took the Home Draft outside and twisted the entire top unit off slowly to release the pressure.  After releasing the presure, I poured out the miller and got to work.


The picture to the right shows the main system.  There is a dip tube with a weight, just like a model airplane gas tanks, a CO2 cartridge, and the tap.    My biggest concern was the CO2 cartridge. Miller put a mechanisim between the threds that made the cylinder only want to twist in to puncture the CO2 Cartridge, but it would not twist out.  I thought for sure the first Home Draft would be wasted in an effort to figure out how it worked..

I was wrong.  I thought I would try some pliers against the ring and twist against the one-way locks and I figured for sure I would break it.  Amazingly, I heard a snap.  It was the one-way pieces breaking loose.  I was able to unscrew the CO2 cylinder and disasemble and reasymble the enitre thing without any problem.

Knowing this now, I'll be sure to buy one when I have a poker party or friends over.  I know I'll be able to reuse it and save myself from the issues of bottling without the big Corny key that needs it's own Kegerator.
Conclusion:
The Draft Key is a reusable small kegging system that does not require a spereate refrigerator and can be reused.

Pros:
It's reusable
It Fits in a normal Fridge
It's Cheap

Cons:
(The Obvious one) It comes with Miller Lite!
You could break it and loose your investment if you are not carefull about tearing it down.
Happy Brewing!

5 comments:

  1. You need to fill it with beer and update this post! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ... thanks for posting. I've been contemplating doing the same thing, but just can't bring myself to buy that much coors light (in our market, I have only seen them in the coors light flavor).

    ReplyDelete
  3. just tried it myself, i had to use a smaller co2 cartridge, so i just took a penny and put it at the bottom of the handle and it spaced it out perfectly, works great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent brewed my first batch just yet but I want to try this. My question, is whether I should carbonate my brew before putting it in the draft keg, or do i just use the CO2?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'd want to carbonate your beer. The small CO2 bulb is really only enough for dispensing.

    ReplyDelete